3 TBS dark brown sugar
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp paprika
1.5 tsp pepper
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 3-pound chicken (breastbone removed & butterflied)
Combine all spice ingredients in a small bowl.
- Transfer half to a shallow dish & reserve for later.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels & coat over and underneath the skin with the other half of the dry rub.
- Transfer to a plate and refrigerate for up to 1 hour.
- Scrape & oil the grill grate. Arrange chicken skin side down and grill (we use a charcoal grill) until skin is well browned and crisp, for 15-20 minutes.
Lightly coat the skin side of the chicken with the reserved dry rub & return to grill, skin side up.
- Continue to grill until rub has melted into a glaze and white meat registers 160*and dark meat 175*, another 15-20 minutes.
- Transfer to platter, tent with foil, let rest 5 minutes. Serve.
Adapted from Cook's Country magazine