6 cups chicken broth
5 cups water
Salt to taste
3-4 chicken thighs, skinless (bone-in or boneless)
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 medium carrots (2 carrots grated, 1 carrot sliced into thin rings or half circles)
2 medium celery stalks, finely chopped or thinly sliced if you prefer
2 cups pasta such as rotini, egg noodles, or your favorite kind
1 cup corn (from 15 oz can, or preferably 1 cooked cob)
4 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 Tbsp fresh or frozen dill
1 tsp Mrs. Dash (or your favorite salt-free seasoning)
1. In a large soup pot or dutch oven, combine 6 cups chicken broth with 5 cups water and 1/2 Tbsp salt. Bring to a boil then add chicken thighs (no need to trim the fat), and boil uncovered 20 minutes. Skim off any impurities that rise to the top.
2. Place a large pan over medium heat and add 2 Tbsp olive oil. Add chopped onion and sauté until softened (5 min), then increase heat to med/high and add grated carrots, chopped celery and sauté 5-7 minutes, stirring often until soft and golden then transfer to soup pot.
3. Remove chicken thighs from the pot and let sit until cool enough to handle then use forks or hands to shred chicken, discarding any bones and fat (which should come off easily). Return shredded chicken to the pot
4. Add 2 cups pasta, sliced carrots and corn to the soup pot and continue cooking 15 minutes at a low boil or until pasta is at desired softness. You can skim off any excess oil from the top at this point if you want the soup to be a little lighter.
5. In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, melt 4 Tbsp butter then whisk in 1/3 cup flour and cook whisking constantly for 1 to 2 minutes or until just barely turning golden. Ladle 1 cup of hot broth from the soup pot into the flour mixture, whisking continually until well blended then whisk in 1/2 cup heavy cream and transfer mixture into the soup pot, stirring until well blended.
6. Season soup with 1/2 tsp Mrs. Dash (or your favorite salt free seasoning) and more salt to taste if needed. Add 3 Tbsp dill then return to a boil and turn off the heat. Enjoy!